Did you know that March is New York's LGBT Health Month (in addition to Women's History Month, of course)?
This year's theme is "Access to Care" -- focusing on increased health services for LGBT New Yorkers, including the options under the Affordable Care Act. Since LGBT older adults deal with significant health disparities across areas related to physical and mental health, including high blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, heart disease, HIV/AIDS and more, "Access to Care" is even more important for our population.
Throughout the month, we will be highlighting a variety of SAGE programs, fact sheets and reports related to the health and wellbeing of our LGBT older adults. To kick things off, we're including a list of all SAGE programs featured in the NYS LGBT Health Awareness Month Calendar and don't forget our special page for information on the Affordable Care Act.
The programs below are offered at The SAGE Center at 305 Seventh Avenue on the 15th floor and are for LGBT adults age 60 and over.
- Dealing with Stress: Saturdays from 3-4:30 - Psychotherapist-led open support group
- Health as a Memoir: Wednesday, March 12, 3 – 4:30 pm- Workshop from Say Ah! that works with you to construct your personal health history and thereby better help you maintain your health
- Ask The Docs – Workshop on Women’s Health: Monday, March 24, 3-4:30 pm – Our monthly series with specialists from Beth Israel, focusing in March month on women’s health issues in honor of Women’s History month
- S.H.E. (Strong. Healthy. Energized): Wednesday, March 5, 2-3 pm – An informational session our 12 week fitness program for lesbian and bisexual women to be launched in April
- Max, the Therapy Dog: Mondays 3/3, 3/10, 3/24 & 3/31 at 6:30 pm
- Meditation: Tuesdays, 4-4:45 pm – With Dojun
- Gentle Yoga: Tuesdays, 6:15-7 pm
- Tai Chi: Wednesdays, 3:30-4:30 – With Doc Woodbine
- Blood Pressure Clinic: Thursdays, 3:30-4 pm – Get your blood pressure checked with Nurse Mary
- Movement Workshop: Tuesdays, 3:30-4:30 pm – With Billy
- Medicare Minute: Wednesday, March 12th at 4:30 – Part D Appeals
- Ask the Pharmacist: Tuesday, March 18, 4-4:45 pm – Marina, pharmacist from Walgreen’s, talks about foot care
- MS Support Group: Mondays at 6:30 pm – Drop-in for all ages, facilitated by MS Society
Additionally, our SAGE Harlem location at 2090 Seventh Ave. @ 125th Street, Suite 201 offers:
- New Beginnings HIV Support Group: Tuesdays, 2-3:30 pm – drop in for MSM’s age 40 and over
- Sexuality & Spirituality Discussions : Mondays, 3/10 & 3/24, 2:30-4 pm with Program Coordinator Chris Jones
- Grief Group: Saturdays, 3/3 & 3/15 – Support group for older adults (50+) dealing with grief & loss
The SAGE Center Brooklyn, at 30 Third Avenue in the YWCA, 2nd floor offers:
- Gentle Yoga: Thursdays, 1-2 pm (except no class 3/20) – With Ria Cooper