It’s day 4 of open enrollment in the Health Insurance Marketplaces, and by many accounts, interest in the Marketplaces is high. If you’re thinking about getting coverage, but aren’t sure what to do, SAGE’s Health Insurance Action Center is a good place to start. In addition, there are many resources online to help you navigate the application process, figure out what kind of paperwork you need, and help you choose the right plan for you—the most comprehensive of these sites is Healthcare.gov.*
Here are a few other resources that can help you understand the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and how the Marketplaces work. If you need health insurance, you can take your time to research all your options—the open enrollment period doesn’t end until March 31, 2014.
- The Affordable Care Act's Insurance Marketplace Opens for Business, AARP Bulletin. Information on the ACA for people age 50+.
- Video: Health Law Changes, Seniors and Medicare, Kaiser Health News. A segment from PBS Newshour on how the Affordable Care Act will affect older Americans and what changes are coming for Medicare recipients.
- Frequently Asked Questions about Health Reform, Kaiser Family Foundation. A comprehensive Q&A that covers a wide range of issues and concerns related to the ACA. Kaiser offers a number of other consumer resources for understanding ACA; you can find them all at their Health Reform for Consumers page.
- Out2Enroll, a campaign to ensure that LGBT people understand their options under the Affordable Care Act and can get the coverage they need. The site will be live Oct. 11, but visitors can sign up now for the mailing list.
- GetInsured.com has a simple questionnaire that tells you whether you might qualify for subsidies, making health coverage more affordable.
*If you visit Healthcare.gov, you may encounter a “wait page” because traffic to the site has been high. Please note that this is a hold page – it is not an error page. Please be patient, wait on that page to ensure that the system works when you get in, and don’t reload your browser.